Friday 16 March 2012

Children Crave Discipline


Yesterday was a great day. The boys let my husband, me and the baby all sleep in til 9:30. I can’t remember the last time that happened. Must have been when our first one was small. Anyways we slept in and my husband was home for the morning and then off to work til late. He’s been working a few 15 hour days this week and I don’t think that will end until after Christmas.
We got grocery shopping done, had some company over in the afternoon. By supper time tho, my younger son was exhausted, the baby had a tummy ache and both of them were screaming. The baby was in her high chair, so 2 minutes of her crying wasn’t going to hurt anybody. My 2 year old was standing beside the table having an all out screaming tantrum. I was thinking “all right we will deal with you after i finish my cold potatoes”. 
Midscreaming my son starts bawling something I cannot understand but after a few times of screaming it I began to understand this:
MAWMMEE I NEEEEED A TIIIIIMEOUUUUT!!!!!
My dear 2 year old son was begging for discipline. He knew he wasn’t acting right, he knew that he needed to be dealt with for his actions. 
If my 2 year old knows he needs correction, why am I so frustrated with correction from my Heavenly Father who loves me so much better and corrects me far more lovingly than I ever could? 
I am thankful for my son who loves me enough to understand that I love him through his bad behavior and that there needs to be consequences for poor behavior. 
So i lovingly scooped up his little body and set him on the timeout chair. His screaming stopped and with little whimpers he was happy to be disciplined by a Mom who he felt safe enough with to ask for discipline. 
Then I turned around and giggled to myself. 
Hebrews 12:9-11
Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment